Statement of Intent

Statement of Intent: 

I am making a pop music video as this genre is wide-ranging and has broad appeal.  The song is ‘Paradise’ by George Ezra and the concept is ‘young love’, portraying a holiday romance as seen through the eyes of a fictitious artist, Devon Dale, from the male character’s point of view. The target audience comprises all genders, aged 16-24.

Applying techniques from the four areas of the media theoretical framework the video will tell the story of a carefree, happy time for the two main characters set in a beautiful island location.  This theme fits with the pop music genre and will relate to my target audience.

I have chosen a holiday setting to link with the song’s lyrics, such as, ‘I’m in paradise whenever I’m with you’. Utilising the strong natural sunlight and hazy nights, shots will include pool, beach and theme park locations to reinforce the ‘fun in the sun’ theme.  Costumes and hair will be summery with a cool, current vibe that appeals to my target audience. Props including inflatables, pillows and rollercoasters will reinforce the upbeat message.

To showcase the characters’ ‘young love’, I will shoot them in a montage of activities such as swimming, dancing and sight-seeing using different camera angles, shots and types of motion.  I will mainly use two camera angles: low and point-of-view, linking them to song lyrics such as ‘It’s a mighty long road but I’ll find you …’ by filming a long shot of the characters dancing in the road and creating a low angle leading line. I will use point of view motion shots to show that the story is being told sometimes by the male character and sometimes by Devon Dale.

Using iMovie I will edit shots to the song’s beat to emphasise key lines like ‘My boom-boom heart’ via a replay motion shot. Playful edits will be offset by slower shots for a thoughtful perspective.

Finally, I will use Final Cut to create a kaleidoscope transition between some scenes including images of the artist against a stage lighting filter to reinforce the audience connection with Devon Dale.

The associated website will be created using WIX.com.  It will have five pages providing images, artist and tour information plus additional media content and merchandise.  The home page will include promotional information about the artist, Devon Dale, the song, tour dates and a link to the ‘Paradise’ video.  On other pages there will be more information about the song and its inspiration plus outtakes from the video shoot. My colour scheme will be black, white and raspberry red, creating a simple yet striking visual.  Artist images will promote a ‘young, edgy yet approachable’ vibe which together with short, snappy paragraphs and the ‘bloopers’ film will emphasise the ‘fun in the sun’ theme to appeal to the target audience.
I will create brand identity across both my music video and website such as the artist features in both. I have also used the same colour scheme throughout meaning that consumers will be able to relate the two media products. On my website I have created a link to Vimeo where my video is uploaded and I have also got link on my website to my blog where the both are physically linked. Using social media on the website will demonstrate digital convergence through the instagram account where my target market can comment and stay up to date. 

Comments

Popular Posts